Monday, February 24, 2014

On my nightstand

Still a slow going year so far...  anyway, I'm still making progress and book club keeps me chugging along ....

As I mentioned last time, February's book club choice was The Invention of Wings by Sue Monk Kidd.  I did indeed finish reading it a couple of weeks ago and we reviewed it last Thursday at the February meeting!  General consensus was that the story was much more powerful after discovering it was based on the real events of two women fighting for the rights of slaves and women.  Look for a review soon!

Next month's book club is Bel Canto by Ann Pratchett.  I'm excited to read this one as I'd read recently it was a good book club read, let's see if it lives up to my expectations.


As reported previously, I was finding The Dinner by Herman Koch difficult to read, and indeed my library subscription expired before I finished it.  To be honest, I don't think I'll pick it up again, to whiny, to complain-y... just depressing. 

I'm really enjoying my library subscription and have picked up two new books: Provence 1970: M.F.K. Fisher, Julia Child, James Beard, and the Reinvention of American Taste by Luke Barr and Longbourn by Jo Baker.  Unfortunately, my subscription to Longbourn lapsed after I had read  ~30%.  Three people had requested the book after my subscription ended, so now I'm on hold in order to finish it. Longbourn is a novel about the life of the servants in the novel Pride and Prejudice... the story itself is not unique (typical drama love story), but it's fun to put in perspective of Pride and Prejudice. Provence 1970 is a foodie book about the encounter and dinner event of great and arguably influential American culinary minds and chefs.  A bit slow going, but interesting to read and drool over the descriptions of delicious French food! 



Curry is still on my list, but with the discovery of this awesome library subscription I've been putting off reading actual physical books!  Since there's no time limit, it's taken a back seat, but I intend to get through it.

After these novels, I'm pretty open, but I have a lot of waiting list holds at my library.  For a few, I'm pretty far down the list, so in the mean time I'll have to find something new.  What are you reading?  

No comments:

Post a Comment